The 2015 Semester 1 exam period is underway! Here are 6 tips that have helped me in the past to prepare for exams and I hope they will help you.
- TURN SOCIAL MEDIA OFF! Part of being focused is forgetting about social media for a while. Focus on the real books (not Facebook) and disconnect from your phone and online messaging accounts. Once you’re finished with exams, then you can reward yourself by using social media (see number 3).
- BE REASONABLE. Do not try to study all day. You brain is like a muscle and will tire. Take a short break from studying. You can possibly study in blocks of 45-50 minutes with 5-10 minute breaks in between. An alternative is to set a time to stop by each day. You can stop studying at 8:00pm and spend the rest of the night relaxing and/ or rewarding yourself.
- SET UP A REWARDS SYSTEM. Establish short and achievable objectives for each day. If you accomplished them, reward yourself. A reward can be as simple as 1 hour’s worth of social media, TV, anything that you enjoy.
- SLEEP PROPERLY. Sleeping 7-8h everyday is important to retain information but also to perform well during exams. You will not perform better during an exam if you stay up studying overnight for a 9:00am exam.
- HAVE FRIENDLY DISCUSSIONS WITH CLASS MATES. Enjoy a cup of coffee with some of your friends and have a chat about the content. If you are able to explain some of the topics of the exam effectively, you know the content and can move onto other topics.
- DON’T ABUSE SUGAR AND CAFFEINE. Don’t abuse coffee and energetic drinks. These can make you nervous and anxious or leave you tired in the long run.
I hope that these tips help you with your exams. Good luck!